Today in Labor History
July 18, 1969
African-American hospital workers won a113-day union recognition strike in Charleston, South Carolina.
~ Voices of Labor
• Raise the Wage Act would hike salaries for 40 million
• The case for a 4-day work week
• Baseball labor talks not progressing smoothly
• Is the general strike making a comeback?
• Teamsters challenge FMCSA decision on meal/break rules
• Amazon will oppose any effort to unionize its NY workforce
• How 10 air traffic controllers likely ended the government shutdown
• Construction workers’ unions sue drug companies over opioid crisis
• DOL considers rule that would make it easier for businesses to exploit workers
• This week’s labor quote (hat-tip DC Labor):